Earlier this week, Paramount Pictures announced a fourth Star Trek film produced by J.J. Abrams. However, the next installment will not include the character of Pavel Chekov, whom the late Anton Yelchin played.
Abrams told the Toronto Sun that the filmmakers are figuring Yelchin’s loss into the new script and that Chekov will not be recast.
“I would say there’s no replacing him. There’s no recasting,” Abrams told the paper. “I can’t possibly imagine that, and I think Anton deserves better.”
Yelchin died in June after a freak accident. He was 27.
The Star Trek: Beyond cast have dedicated their press tour to Yelchin’s memory. The film comes to theaters this Friday, July 22.
The fourth and not-yet-titled Star Trek film will bring back the main cast, along with Chris Hemsworth as George Kirk. A release date has not yet been finalized.